Monday, June 11, 2007

She's Here!

Sofia has finally arrived!! We are so happy and blessed to have her with us. I might be biased but she's the most beautiful baby I've ever seen :D She was born on Saturday morning and was 8 pounds, 1 ounce (yea - the ultrasound was way off!). She was 50cm. long....I think that's around 19-20 inches long.

The birth didn't go exactly like I had planned. I went to the hospital at 10am to start taking the pills to get the dialation and contractions started. If nothing happens then they wait 6 hours and give another pill. They'll only do this four times and then they do a c-section if labor still has not progressed since it's hard on the baby. Well, what do you know, no four measly little pills could make Sofia want to come out of her comfy home. The doctor checked me at 9am and I was still only 2cm dialated - the same as I was a week before. So 1/2 hour later they started prepping me for surgery. At this time, some really strong contractions started to kick in and my water broke. In only 1/2 hour I dialated an inch more. However, they found meconium in my water so they had to get Sofia out right away to make sure she didn't swallow any of it. It was a good thing I was already prepped for surgery because when they pulled her out she had some in her mouth but hadn't swallowed any yet.

I had really wanted to have a natural birth but in the end I'm so thankful that Sofia is healthy and I'm healthy that it really doesn't matter how it happened. And if there is anywhere you want to be to have a c-section, it's here in Brazil. All of the nurses who helped me were so amazed that I wanted to have a natural birth. If you can afford a c-section here, most people prefer it. They said they only have 1 or 2 natural births a month, since it's a private hospital most of the people have the money or the health plan to afford a c-section. So strange.

Here's a few pics that were taken on Saturday. The first one is my favorite, it was the first time Micah got to hold Sofia. When you have a child you certainly realize how little time it takes to fall in love. Everytime I look at Sofia I can't help but praise God for His goodness and I'm amazed by what a miracle He did in creating this new little life.






1 Comments:

At 7:49 AM, Blogger jkk said...

Oh. My. Goodness.

She is so precious! I am so glad your ok and everything went ok :cD

As soon as you busy new parents get around to it we need more pictures! I am so proud of you two! Way to go :c)

And yes you are bias because I thought and still think Isabella was the most perfect beautiful baby ever to have been concieved hahaha. There are newborn pics of her in my myspace pics and now I think she looked a lil alien-esque but still soooo precious. Nothing like having a daughter eh guys?

YOUR PARENTS! WEEEE!
Congrats!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

[ View Guestbook ] [ Sign Guestbook ]
Get a FREE guestbook here!